The Happy Mom By Doreen Wong

[Book Review]


Before I was a Mom...


I made and ate hot meals. I had unstained clothing. I had quiet conversations on the phone. 

I slept as late as I wanted and never worried about how late I got into bed. I brushed my hair and my teeth everyday. 

I cleaned my house each day. I never tripped over toys or forgot words to lullabies.

I didn't worry whether or not my plants were poisonous. I never thought about Immunizations. 

I had never been puked on, pooped on, spit on, chewed on, peed on or pinched by tiny fingers. I had complete control of my mind, my thoughts, and my body. I slept all night. 

I never held down a screaming child so that doctors could do tests or give shots. I never looked into teary eyes and cried. I never got gloriously happy over a simple grin. I never sat up late hours at night watching a baby sleep. 

I never held a sleeping baby just because I didn't want to put it down. I never felt my heart break into a million pieces when I couldn't stop the hurt. I never knew that something so small could affect my life so much. I never knew that I could love someone so much. I never knew I would love being a Mom. 

I didn't know the feeling of having my heart outside my body. I didn't know how special it could feel to feed a hungry baby. I didn't know that bond between a mother and her child. I didn't know that something so small could make me feel so important. 

I had never gotten up in the middle of the night every 10 minutes to make sure all was okay. I had never known the warmth, the joy, the love, the heartache, the wonderment, or the satisfaction of being a Mom. I didn't know I was capable of feeling so much before I was a Mom

Author unknown


I still weep as I read this, even though my child is turning 11 soon. Just as a lovely dovey married couple would say after 12 years of marriage; turn back the clock and ask me if I would want to be a mother all over again, I will still say ‘I do’.



Some say, being a mom is not about what you gave up to have a child, but what you have gained from having one. I can’t agree more. Being a mother, I have learnt that I can conquer many challenges that I did not know I could, and the inner strength that I have that I didn’t know it existed. Until I became a mother, I never understood the extent and the intensity of unconditional love.  I never knew I would love someone so deeply and so sacrificially.

Motherhood is a lifetime journey. Most of the time, we tread the path alone because every mother has different set of problems to deal with. There are good days, and there are bad days. It’s on those bad days we often question our role, doubt our capabilities and wonder what have we done wrong. Thus, it is good to pen down our thoughts and our frustration, and reflect on them. As our children grow older and us wiser, we could play the role of influencing other young mothers positively.



I am thankful to be given this book ‘The Happy Mom’ written by Doreen Wong to read. 




Doreen, now in her 60s, is a mother of 3 grown up children. Her life as a mother has been rich, travelling with her husband from country to country, raising her 3 children up in different environment.


In her book, she shares her precious experience and her thoughts about motherhood. Often a time, we need constant reminders and encouragement from wiser mothers like her to motivate us further in this path of motherhood.  

It is sad but true, people judged how successful we are as a mom by our children’s conduct, academic results, achievements, talents and social standing. But, Doreen, in her book, reminds us that we have to alight our choices with the legacy we want to leave behind. We are our children's first role model, the influence of a mother in the lives of her children is beyond calculation.

Being a happy mom is being a joyous mom. There is no the secret of being Happy except accepting where you are in life and making the most out of everyday. Reading her book serves as a reminder to me as a 'mature' mom, and I believe her book will benefit many young mothers and mothers-to-be. Remember this: the most precious jewels you’ll ever have around your neck is the arms of your children.

"As you become a mom who has the patience, the wisdom of a mentor, the foresight of a leader and the understanding of a confidante, your children will be great. With the right mindset, you will become a person of greater patience, wisdom and love."

The Happy Mom is officially launched today. You can get it via this link here. From now till 23rd October 2017, 10pm (Singapore time), you can get the book at 20% off.



Other books written by Daniel Wong (Doreen's third child) you might like to get:

1. The Complete Guide to Taking Tests and Exams
2. Straight-A Student Weekly Checklist


This is an affiliated post with The Happy Mom

Comments

Popular Posts